Hains Dental are service providers for the Medicare
Child Dental Benefits Schedule – Bulk Billing Replacing the Teen Dental Plan
The Medicare Teen Dental Plan was replaced with the Child Dental Benefits Schedule from 1 January 2014.
The Child Dental Benefits Schedule provides a capped benefit entitlement for basic dental services for children aged 2-17 in families who meet a means test. The means test is the same as the prior Medicare Teen Dental Plan, which requires receipt of Family Tax Benefit Part A or other relevant Australian Government payments.
Services for basic essential dental treatment, such as examinations, x-rays, cleaning, fissure sealing, fillings, root canals, extractions, and partial dentures. Many of these services have claiming restrictions. Patients will have access to dental benefits entitlements capped (indexed annually) over a two calendar year period. For 2014, the benefit is capped at $1000 per child*.
* For more information and to confirm your individual benefit please contact the Department of Health/ Medicare.
Benefits are not available for orthodontic or cosmetic dental work and cannot be paid for any services provided in a hospital.
Eligibility for the Child Dental Benefits Schedule/Scheme
Your child or children may be eligible if:
- they are aged between 2-17 years
- they receive, or the family, guardian or carer receives, Family Tax Benefit Part A (for at least part of the calendar year) or other relevant Australian Government payments (Eg Youth Allowance, Abstudy Allowance, Disability Support Pension, Parenting Payment, Special Benefit, Carer Payment, Double Orphan Pension, Veteran’s Children Education Scheme, if the child is over 16 and Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act Education and Training Scheme, if the child is over 16) Please refer to Medicare to conform the eligibility of your individual Government Payment.
- are eligible for Medicare in Australia
NO out of pocket costs for approved Services / Bulk Billing Available
Here at Hains Dental we will Bulk Bill for treatments received by eligible children under the Child Dental Benefits Schedule directly with Medicare. Which usually means no out of pocket or upfront expenses for you. Prior to treatment you must confirm that you have sufficient balance under the scheme to fully cover the cost of the treatment being provided.
You can confirm your child’s eligibility and balance amount by calling Medicare on 132 011. This must be done prior to making your appointment.
Information for Families
Further information for families on the Child Dental Benefits Scheme (CDBS) is available from the Department of Human Services website.
How to Access this Free Service
1. Firstly, you need to confirm that your children are eligible for the Child Dental Benefits Schedule/Scheme (replacing the Teen Dental Plan). This can be done by calling Medicare on 132 011.
2. Call to make an appointment and let our friendly staff at reception know that you are wanting to use the Child Dental Benefits Scheme and if you have already used any of the allowable benefit under the schedule. Call today on 5593 4077 our surgery hours are 8am-6pm Monday to Friday and Saturday by appointment Our extended surgery hours allow for both before and after school appointments. Unsure of how much benefit you have remaining – Medicare can confirm your balance available.
3. Make sure you bring your Medicare Card to the Appointment. You will also be required to sign a consent form for the child.
4. During the appointment, we will assess your child’s treatment needs and options. To ensure you have sufficient benefits remaining under the scheme to cover the costs.
5. At the end of your appointment we will bulk bill the treatment directly with Medicare (given that you have enough Child Dental Benefit left to cover the full treatment costs).
Dental treatments covered by the Child Dental Benefits Scheme
- fissure sealing
- root canals
Many of these services have claiming restrictions please ask about all costs at the time of treatment.
Call us today 5580 9926
Child Dental Benefits Scheme – Bulk Billed